Thursday, August 05, 2010

Chicken and Dumplings

Okay, nother day and guess what? Todd is hungry again. I had made him a bunch of crepes this morning, and we had subway but its dinner time!
Lets see... I've been wanting to make fried chicken, but we are out of eggs still.(we were loaned 3 for the crepes as long as I made her one. I spiced them up with cinnamon and vanilla extract, tasted like funnel cakes! maybe it was because of the evoo since we had no butter either...)

There is some Bisquick in a jar, and I do have the chicken... How about Chicken and dumpling soup?


In Her awesome dutch oven, I put the frozen chicken breast with a tidge of olive oil, water to cover chicken and the various seasonings. While I let that cook, I cut up the fresh carrots. Pulled the chicken out of the broth and tore it up into bite sized pieces. Put the chicken back in along with the carrots and onions.

And as I am writing this while cooking, I taste tested it and had to get a bit of chicken bouillon because there was too much water compared to chicken in her big ol' pot.

Then it had a bit too much tang... hmm what to do what to do... Todd has been making a lot of tea, and he uses honey! Honey barbecue chicken is pretty popular.... I wonder what that would be like in the soup? So I dipped out a bit of the broth (like an 8th of a cup) and added a tidge of honey. It is good! Into the pot I drizzle!

Mix in 4 cups Bisquick with 1 and 1/3 cup milk, and you all should realize i can't leave well enough alone, a bit of melted butter, garlic, and chili powder. I ended up adding a little tidge bit more milk to, it looked a little dry and like cement! Worse than those Dairy-Queen or Culver's concrete mixers!  And for that reason, Do not use a whisk, it thickens too much. Also though you can use a spoon to start with, you are probably going to be mixing it with your fingers!

Drop the batter by spoonfuls onto the top of the soup, cover and brought to a boil. It started boiling over so I am going to hopefully finish the dumplings with the lid off...  A note if you make this, do not dunk or move the dumplings around, just let them sit until they are not sticky-gooey anymore.

After what Seems like HOURS (though truly only too half the time of the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) It is done!

Spoon out a dumpling and some of your delicious soup! I think the onions kinda disintegrated or something, there were not nearly as many as I put in at the beginning. Carrots were Wonderful and I just wish I had had a little bit of celery.

Verdict: Yummy Yummy Yummy!!!! The honey made it PERFECT. It had been a long time since we've had dumplings, and they just hit the spot. Would definitely make this way again.

So final ingredients were (if you had a hard time keeping track): Chicken breast, Extra virgin olive oil, Pearl Onions, Carrots, Bisquick Mix, Milk, Honey, Butter, Various seasonings (Bouillon, Seasoned salt, granulated garlic, black pepper, parsley, oregano, bay leaf,  chili powder)

No comments:

Post a Comment