Sunday, August 08, 2010

Halibut Alyeska

I got a new cook book! Its tried and true recipes from Alaskan women. Title of "Eagle River 1st Ward 2002 coobook". The reason I choose this book was for this recipe. I really really wanted to try it, though I had no idea what Alyeska was. I have not cooked fish much, maybe once or twice and it is usually okay. The recipe is as follows:

1 lb halibut (large chunks)
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8th teaspoon cayenne pepper

bake 1/2 hour at 325, then sprinkle with 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese. Bake 5 more minutes. Serves 2.


But I doubled the sauce because I had two pouches of frozen halibut I was using, I knew they had to be atleast 1 pound each. I also added a bit more cayenne pepper and some parsley, paprika, and black pepper because I thought it was just a bit too tart. and I love cheese. I mean I really love cheese. So I used well more than that, I grated up the rest of the half block of cheese and used all but a baggie full on this dish. Because the fish was frozen and not thawed completely, I added 10 minutes before the cheese and melted the cheese for 7.

Oh, and I beg beg beg and plead that anytime I make fish again, I hope to heaven above it has been scaled already. I chunked up the halibut that was just skin but it is really hard to fillet half frozen fish when there are scales all over the cutting board. I had to carefully take off the skin layer on those ones, I guess it was because I used fish from two different batches.

Results: I discovered I dont like Halibut Alyeska. I don't like gravies and sauces too much ussually, but white ones even less I guess. I did use the right amount of sour cream and lemon juice for the recipe, but I just don't fancy it.  Todd LOVED it scarffed a ton down, and others like it, but I tried a small bit after taking out of oven and decided it wasn't my thing. I am not making this again, unless Todd specifically asks for it or something. Logan never would because of the onions hahaha!

Oh and a little tidbit of whats in store... soon I will get a camera! I bought a cheap new one on ebay, so then will be able to show you the dishes I am cooking! Just waiting for it to come in! Maybe when we make the planned layer carrot cake with caramel and cream cheese frosting I can have Jo bring hers over for that recipe since I doubt my camera will be here fast enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment