Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Leftovers -> Sheppard's Pie (American)

Read the previous post, Pot Roast to find out what the leftovers were.
We are only three people and so there was a good chunk of meat, tons of carrots (again next time don't use the whole bag!) and a few potato scraps left. My boyfriend's family had a favorite recipe, Sheppard's pie. True, its an American version, basically mashed potato covered meat loaf. Now, I had watched it being made but never seen a paper copy of the recipe.

Here is what I did:

Meat: I shredded it by hand nice and fine, taking out any chunks of fat or gristle. Mixed it with a pouch of meatloaf seasoning, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, and the rest of a loaf of dried out rye bread (about 5 slices) crumbled. Mixed all together and spread in bottom of casserole dish, stuck in oven at 350 for 30 minutes.

Mashed veggie topping: I had to boil up a few more potatoes (with skins), and then mashed them in with the carrots and leftover potatoes. Crushed and pressed 2 cloves of garlic, 1 package of cream cheese, and a splash of milk to the right consistency. salt and pepper to taste. Turned out a nice peachy color.

Spread potatoes on top of the meat loaf, garnish with a bit of paprika and chives, stick in over for another 30 or so.

Served with brown gravy made from a packet with the strained liquid from roasting pan.

Verdict: Yummy Yummy Yummy Potatoes, I want to make that more often! The meat texture was weird, I think next time I would make BBQ sandwiches instead of meat loaf, it was too stringy. That and/or I would make the meatloaf with rice like my mom does for when she makes stuffed green peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment