Thursday, October 07, 2010

Beef Tips and Noodles (aka sort-of Stroganoff)

This is a long time easy favorite of my Missouri family. The thing that makes this not stroganoff is the fact that it does not have cream in, most that I see (and my mom's too) use sour cream to give it a smoother taste.
However, this is a great recipe, and I have come to love it over the year I spent there.

How to make:

Cut stew meat into small pieces. Roll in a mixture of flour, and seasonings. Such as Season salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder. 


Place in a skillet with a bit of olive oil, brown the meat on med-high.  Then turn it down to low, add some beef broth or  water. 


Keep it simmering on low for about an hour or more, until the meat is tender. Watch the water level, add more as needed. If you have a lid for your pan cover it, but it is okay if you don't, I didn't this time, just had to check water more often. 


Once the meat is tender, start a pot of boiling water with a dash of salt and a drop or two of oil.  Cook egg noodles for 6-8 minutes, or as package directs.  Pour off water and either poor the sauce in the pot with the noodles, or pour into a large casserole dish for easier serving for many people. ( we had 8 at the table every night)


Again, this is a traditional family recipe for Logan, and I am happy that it tastes good. When I made it tonight, I didn't have season salt or the lid, but I tried. I added a little of italian seasoning which I think made it different but a bit more zesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment