Friday, October 22, 2010

Bread bowls

Recipe at bottom

Great googely moogele! I was on a baking kick today. I made some bread bowls for the chili, some bagels, and I have plans to make oatmeal cookies later. Also I made Yogurt! So proud. :) I think part of this  occurrence is inspired by how happy I am to have yeast again, and so much!

Before I was buying the 4 ounce jars of Fleischman's yeast, but Safeway was out yesterday. (And that wasn't the only thing they were out of that has been disappointing me...!)  They just have the packets and considering that it would take three packets just to make Kathy's rolls, not a good deal. AND they would not have more until MONDAY. So I went over to Three Bears to see if they would have some beloved yeast for me. They had the little packets... Dang!
And then, hidden, I saw it. The 2 pound package of Active Dry Yeast from RedStar! I LOVE Redstar yeast so much better, partly because their headquarters are in Wisconsin, and I grew up in Minnesota. The only company I have ever seen my family was RedStar, I was just using Fleischman because Safeway carries no RedStar :( PLUS its only like 2 dollars more for this 32 oz package compared to the 4 oz jar! I bought it up in a heart beat, rushed home and poured it into my smaller green jars. (I had been using it for bread flour, switched to an ice cream bucket)

 2 pounds of yeast, 25 pounds of all pourpose flour, 10 pounds of sugar, 5 pounds of bread flour and 5 pounds of cornmeal make a happy baker!


Now here is the recipe I used for these yummy yummy Bread Bowls (makes 3)

1 1/4 Cups Water
3-4 Cups Bread Flour
1 Tsp Salt
1 1/2 teaspoons Sugar
3 tablespoons Cornmeal
1 packet (or 2 1/4 tsp) Yeast

Mix all together and knead for a few minutes till smooth and elastic. Let rise for 30 minutes, then punch down and separate into 3 sections. roll into a smooth ball.

Let rise a second time for about 20 minutes (pre-heat your oven at this point) and bake at 475 degree for 20-30 minutes.

Cool on wire rack, then slice off the top and take out most of the center. Place back in 300 degree oven and bake for 10 minutes to achieve a crisper crust and make sure the soup/chili does not soak in as fast.

Enjoy! Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment