Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Good Cake, but the icing needs work...

So today was not my day for cooking either... First for dinner I had wanted to make some chicken and rice soup, one of Logan's favorites I have made before. This time however, I was using normal rice, before I used instant. I had a bit too much rice, it took over the whole pot. So instead of soup we had sticky rice with bits of green beans, corn, chicken and broccoli. Which give me points, I actually got Logan to eat borccoli! Oh yhea! Oh yhea!

I was having a sweet tooth so wanted to make a cake. The cake turned out really good, I combined a few recipes to make my own again. But oh it was soooo moist, very good! The icing... not so good. I have made the icing before, but never without a mixer. So I added some milk to try to make it thinner and easier to mix by hand... and it more looks like glue or as todd said "tapioca pudding".  I don't know how people made frosting before they had mixers!!!!

Delicious Yellow cake, would be good without frosting!

Crumb together :1/2 cup butter or crisco and 1 1/2 cup sugar


Add: 4 eggs, 1 tsp Vanilla, 1/4 tsp Almond extract, 1 1/3 cup butter milk  


Blend together:  2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt


Carefully mix dry mixture into the wet until incorporated. Get the big lumps out but don't over mix, that causes the flour to form gluten strands which will make the cake tough.

Pour into greased and floured pan, I used two round pans. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Yummy yummy, I think better without frosting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment